Skip to main content

Identity, misappropriation and choice

Photo of two halves of faces brought together as one, one caucasian and the other mixed race
Image: Fair observer

I recently came across an article on Anthony Ekundayo Lennon, a middle aged Irish Caucasian accused of cultural misappropriation and profiting from passing himself off as a mixed race person. The Guardian article offered me a fresh perspective on his story. He had before now seemed to me to be just another ‘Rachel Dolezal’, who was also white but presented herself as a black person. And if you’re wondering how this is even possible, it actually isn’t that difficult to achieve.

I’ve always found this concept of what makes a person black or white to be quite interesting. So, on the one end you have white individuals with white parents and white ancestry as far back as they know, identifying and presenting as black people. Rachel was president of a chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), one of the most regarded bodies for civil rights in the US for African Americans. You don’t get to such a position by not being black, so she was accepted as being black, which just goes to show the blurred lines in what it means to be black or white. Then at the other end of the spectrum, you have someone like Mariah Carey with mixed race parentage but presupposed by many to be a white person.

Anthony’s story was illuminating for me. He had suffered prejudice on account of the way he looked from when he was a baby. He was not even spared by his own family as his grandmother resented him for appearing mixed race, labelling him as a curse on the family. He had always identified as and gravitated towards the black community. He was accused of taking up a residency position meant for black, Asian and minority ethnic theatre practitioners, who have very little representation in Britain. As a white man is he morally justified in taking a limited position meant for minorities? It may be worthwhile to know his story before you let the gavel drop on that.

But Anthony is in fact Caucasian and so does identifying as a black person make him one? Is the idea of race a lie as Dolezal alluded to after she was found out?  Is it really a matter of choice?

Can I choose to be a white man if I could somehow alter my appearance to become one? Would I then be justified in passing myself off as white? If I identify as one, can I choose to become a woman even though I was born a man? Is what we identify as, the next chapter in the expression of civil rights and liberties? Indeed, is it the next chapter in our evolution as social beings? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am 'Brave'

Image: Expressworks I never gave much thought to the whole brouhaha surrounding Bruce Jenner’s evolution into Caitlyn, I had lumped it into the category of one of those bizarre things that happen frequently in the west. Granted, such things now happen pretty much everywhere else, but I dare say the west has always been known to glamorise such feats.  What got me thinking a little bit more about the whole story was how some groups of people started to praise Bruce for his bravery and courage.  I actually had to look up the meaning of bravery as I began to write this piece. Bravery is described as courageous behaviour or character, bravery was described with synonyms such as  brave spirit or conduct, courage, valour. Yet another source describes it as the quality that allows someone to do things that are dangerous or frightening. I did this so that I could understand why 'bravery' was most used to describe the actions carried out by this sixty five year old ex Olympian...

The Fourth Man

Image: Pinclipart The short blade glistened in the sun, it made his eyes water He couldn’t figure out why he hesitated, what made him contemplate WHY!!! He doubted whether he had the right to; he wondered if it was right The cause seemed lost to him He thought of home for a second, the farm where he grew up, it made him feel at peace, such irony; contemplating peace with a dagger in hand The man kneeling before him had hair like that of Ahmid, his younger brother; whom he would give his life for in a heartbeat. He knew now he couldn’t go through with it, a task he had performed with precision many times before, with such swiftness, with such detachment but also with such fear. A morning of ironies it seemed. He found empathy at the most ill opportune of times, courage made his eyes water, bravery made his hands tremble and love made his heart bleed The fourth man in a line of ten, twenty men, ten with seconds to live.  Perhaps now, eleven.

City of Dreams

Image: PNG Key Anyone hardly misses the three white men who bid visitors welcome into this city; the lines of fame and infamy are thinly drawn in the minds of many.  But reality is often quite a personal thing, everyone with their own experience and story.        With a rich history and very vibrant future, there’s all to live for in the city of dreams. Life’s tough in this city, it makes minced meat of unsuspecting victims, yet the influx into this intricate geography is amazing, its bowels swell by the day. But that, perhaps is what makes the city so formidable, its diversity, its experience, its wealth; unparalleled. It struggles to maintain its grace, what is left of its natural beauty. It’s still quite striking when you watch it slowly begin to submerge, until its totally immersed in the yellow rays of the sun; resplendent, picturesque. And so begins the rush, the exchange of vitality for cheddar; oh the city will drain you, i...